It’s been over a year so it’s about time for an updated top 10 exercise list. Don’t get me wrong, I still love double-unders, burpees, wall balls and …everything but here are some of my new “favorites.”
- Bulgarian Split Squats. These are my new absolute favorite form of squats. I still kind of suck at them especially when I pile on the weights (and the fact that my feet are always cramping up) but I love them! They help minimize strength and muscular differences in your legs (my #1 reason for doing them), strengthen your core, improve balance, increase flexibility in your hip flexors and of course, strengthen your lower body. And they are hard.
- Deadlifts. A true full-body movement and definitely one of the best compound exercises you can do.
- Handstand Push Ups. Another thing on my Get Awesome At list.
- Turkish Get Ups. Just watch the video!
- [Kettlebell] Sumo Squats. Because I realized I don’t work my inner thighs enough. I like to dump this in a circuit with other kettlebell exercises such as swings, high pulls, presses.
- Wall Climbs. I always make sure I do chest-to-ground after each rep (not in my newbie video below). If you want to make it more challenging, add a push up (or a few).
- TRX Rows (or TRX anything). TRX bands are a must in any [home] gym. They really engage and stablize your core and allow you to do a lot of different exercises due to it’s versatility. It’s literally a band that you hang on just about anything and you can almost do anything you can think of with it.
- TRX Tucks & Pikes. Try this in a circuit doing 1 tuck + 1 pike (1 rep) , ten times. To make it more challenging, add a push up with each rep.
- Push Presses. I love doing these in a quick barbell complex, AMRAP style with deadlifts (high rep), front squats and bent-over rows.
- Farmers Walks. One of my things on my Get Awesome At list is to improve my grip strength because it holds me back a lot. And the fact that I hate bitch hands.
Check out my top 10 exercise from the last 3 years: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.