So you want to get healthy. Changing your lifestyle is NOT an easy task so in order to succeed, you must change your habits.
Be patient. You can’t expect to lose 20lbs overnight so the easiest way it to make a list of your worst habits that seems to be blocking you from your goals and start tackling them one by one.
Focus on one change …for a week, 2 weeks, a month— however long you think it’ll take you. You may not change that habit completely but just get started. When you feel comfortable enough, move on to the next habit (while still practicing the previous habit).
When starting, pick an easy habit to change and the following habits should be some of your hardest ones to take advantage of the extra drive from your previous success. The more you dread changing that habit, the more you should think about moving it up the list to get it over with.
Take baby-step. If you can’t see yourself cutting out your 5-can-a-day soda habit, tell yourself you will only drink 1 can for two weeks and when you feel comfortable, try saying goodbye to it forever.
Some healthy habits everyone should master:
- I will drink at least 3L of water every day and carry a water bottle around with me that I will constantly refill when empty.
- I will stop drinking soda, diet-soda, juice and other sugary drinks.
- I will increase my protein-intake to my bodyweight in grams and track it in my food journal.
- I will not consume sugar for two weeks.
- I will go to bed before 12am every night and wake up earlier in the morning.
- I will workout 5 days a week and incorporate lots of strength-training.
Remember, changing a habit is not meant to be quick and easy! You want to do this slowly so you won’t deprive yourself— if you tried to go from five cans to zero cans of coke immediately, you’ll be setting yourself up for a major fail. Like setting goals, these should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. Create your own time frame for these habits to suit your current lifestyle.