I’m sure you’ve all heard of this equation, losing body fat is 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can workout all you want but if you don’t clean up your diet, you will never see results. With that being said, you may wonder, “then what’s the point of exercising if I can just eat clean?”
Well, why DON’T you want to exercise?! Which brings me to another question: why don’t girls lift weights… and lift heavy weights?!
When I see fitness videos and celebrity trainers promoting the use of tiny, pink dumbbells, I get so angry. It is impossible for women to get bulky because we don’t have the same testosterone levels as the guys and every woman needs to know that.
Losing weight is all about the diet but exercise is essential for building and protecting lean mass.
I remember years ago when I was at the gym using 8lb dumbbells and was afraid to drop the pins to increase load because I thought I would bulk up. I was doing high reps with low weights and even though I did lose weight (along with eating clean), I wasn’t building enough muscle and making efficient use of my time. So much wasted time. I cringe at the thought of that memory now.
Here are the benefits of lifting heavy:
- You get to look HOT…. naked too! Muscles over skinny fat anyday, right? “Skinny” girls may look good in clothes but I bet you they won’t look too appealing naked.
- Cardio may burn some of that fat off but weight-training changes your body composition so you get that desired look everyone calls “toned” … which is really means you have defined muscles. And you won’t get them from lifting light weights that don’t challenge you.
- You get stronger which allows you to do more and lessens the chance of injuries.
- You get FIT and that’s already a huge accomplishment in itself.
- You feel good all the time. Because you are so healthy. And you look so good. Which boosts your confidence.
- And the most important reason many people don’t realize:
The metabolic spike!
When you leave the gym, you will continue to burn calories longer than a cardio session and it also allows you to burn more calories even as you sit there and do nothing because the more lean muscle you have in your body, the more energy your body needs …even while resting. Hence, this is why they say weight training burns more calories than traditional cardio.
So to sum this entry up:
Can someone please tell me why 1lb dumbbells even exist.